Tuesday, April 2, 2024

'64 Lightning Rocket - Engine Rebuild PT VI - Top End

The top end was tired on the LR to say the least. The cylinders were scored and the valves were significantly worn. A complete intervention was required. The cylinder was blasted bare and sprayed with VHT primer and paint. The head was chemically cleaned and walnut blasted. I considered vapor blasting for the aluminum parts on the engine but in the end I decided not to do so preferring to keep the casting glaze with which it departed the factory. To each his own I guess. Maybe vapor blasting will be used on the next build as I do respect the clean surfaces it produces.  

As found....a bit tired inside and out. 

Cleaned, painted, re-machined and ready to go

The cylinder was bored +.020 and Hepolite pistons were purchased for the build. Threads were chased and and the deck was ground to get it flat. The rings were gapped to specs greater than I have used before. Hepolite called out .012 - .018. I split the middle with .015.  

Rings being gapped for the new pistons and reworked cylinder. I use a fine file held in a vice to work both ends of the rings simultaneously. 

New guides were installed in the head which had its face skimmed. Kibblewhite black diamond valves were used and EV Engineering springs were installed. Elephant foot valve adjuster screws finished off the updates.           

Disassembly in process.....

Rebuilt and ready to go onto the power egg....

Copper annealed via MAP gas torch. I have not used head gasket sealer in the past but am giving Permatex copper spray gasket sealer a try this time. I have had issues with the oil holes leaking and am hoping this does the trick. 

Silicone gaskets work great if you don't overtighten them. 
Thanks Tennessee Real Gasket!

Torqueing down the head nuts with my home made offset spanner.
Ready for carbs, cables and final assembly. 









No comments:

Post a Comment