Saturday, September 26, 2015

The Frame, Parts and Fuel Tank Finishing

 I tried not to mar parts up too much during dis assembly as I thought I may get by without repainting many of them. I was wrong as there were many scratches upon cleaning off the dirt, and rust through the paint on many of the welds. Most of the parts were in good shape. The right foot peg hardware was bent quite a bit and the steering head travel stops were welded together crooked at the factory while one weld was missing. These issues were remedied.

Steering stop missing a weld on the far side and a bit bent. 

One difficult piece to take apart was the steering head. The fork tubes were lightly rusted and would not go through the triple trees. I found that carefully wedging a chisel in the bottom clamp joint opened the holes up enough that the forks were easily removed. I was careful not to expand this too much as I did not want to crack the castings. I was hoping to save the fork tubes but rust pits make them unfit for reuse.

Spreading the lower fork tree to release the fork tube. 

All parts were cleaned with kerosene to remove heavy grease and then washed with Sam’s Club commercial de-greaser.  I am adding all of the factory options for 1969. The reflectors and brackets as well as the front fender brace were missing and new ones were purchased. The skid plate was NOS and a bit rusty so it is heading for paint too.

Parts ready for Precision Motorcycle Painting in South Bend Indiana. 

My last point was to figure out which tank transfer type to use. Through the Royal Enfield Interceptor Group on yahoo, which I am a member of, I found the original transfer was a stick on and not vinyl. The original transfers degrade quickly upon contact with modern fuels and vinyl is thicker than the original transfers. I am going with painted transfers as an alternative as I think this will best replicate the originals and be compatible with modern fuels.

The tank restored by Ross Thompson and ready to paint. Ross does beautiful work.