Friday, June 22, 2018

Interceptor Build Reflection - Final Thoughts


OK....so here is my final diatribe on the Interceptor....read at your own risk.....OK there will be one more...."Upgrades for the Road".......but who's really keeping track anyway???

One of my early morning activities....coffee and blog post writing. 

I have been hooked on British motorcycles since my father's friend let me ride his 1973 Triumph Trophy Trail 500cc twin in 1980. I was not actually interested in riding it. He wanted to ride my Kawasaki 440 to see how it stacked up against his Triumph. Although he said kind words about my Kaw I came away enamored with his Triumph and British motorcycles. So much so that a short time later I wound up with a 1969 BSA Firebird Scrambler. It had been a dirt bike in its prime and needed total rebuilding which I did. Looking back it wasn't my finest work but it ran well and the bug was fully invested in me. Then onto a slew of British bikes over the years with a 1974 Norton Commando Roadster being my one constant bike. Kids off to college and time on my hands it was on to bike restorations. At this point it's leading into my retirement planning scheme. Let's find an Interceptor....

My first Britbike....A '69 BSA Firebird...


The '73 Trophy Trail. 

The Interceptor is a motorcycle I had longed to own for many years before the circumstances finaly lined up for its purchase in 2014. I first recall seeing one at a motorcycle rally in the early 80's. I had no idea how it rode but its unique design and rareness appealed to me. I especially liked the look of the engine and its unusual cylinder and gearbox arrangement. It just looked different and was something I wanted to ride. Great criteria for its pursuit.

One of several Interceptors I attempted to purchase over the years. 
It went for more than I was willing to spend.

Who wouldn't think this is a great looking bike?

The purchase of an Interceptor never seemed to work out. I couldn't get the money and availability to meet. In 2014, just shy of my 50th birthday, a friend alerted me to an estate sale in the area we grew up. The auction was offering a couple of dozen British motorcycles for sale. I immediately checked out the lots and signed up for the online auction. Although there were many bikes for sale; Triumphs back into the 50's, BSA's and Nortons, there were two Series II interceptors which caught my attention. Wow! I had rarely seen one for sale at a time over the years, but two at once?  I investigated the value, set my max bid, and entered into the fray.

Many lots of bikes and parts....

The SII I didn't bid on. Nice but partially restored and I was seeking an original condition bike. I could have saved a lot of money by starting with this one. 

The SII I took home...fresh from the sale & still wearing its auction tag. 

My goal was to purchase the SII or a 1964 BSA Lightning Rocket as I thought the SII would sell above my budget.  My wife and I sat down with our PC's and started bidding at the auction's end. To my surprise I won the SII and the BSA at prices much lower than expected. I also had my eye on a few lots of parts. I purchased boxes of BSA side panels, mufflers, and fuel systems parts. It turns out I should have bought the box of old gauges - rookie mistake.

Won these...needed them as the LR's panels were in this lot. 

The Interceptor I purchased was un-restored while the other Interceptor was 70% finished. They both went for the same price and both were missing fuel tanks which sold in a different lot. I attempted to purchase the tanks but quit bidding around $1800. This turned out to have been a decent price for the pair as they had been re-chromed. I hoped to meet up with the winning bidder at the pick up site to see if he would sell one but was not able to connect. I later found a Ross Thompson restored fuel tank on eBay and made it mine. It was not cheap.

Missed these...should have tried harder but I was already past my budget's limit. 

Upon taking ownership of the SII I found the title was from 1974 and owned by a childhood friends's father. I remember seeing him ride bikes around town and had probably watched my SII go by on many occasions. A small world or so they say.

The RE in the shed I pulled it from...truly a barn find. 

I started the Interceptor's restoration in 2015 following the completion of my BSA Hornet. In the past I have been guilty of starting several projects at once slowing down the progress of all. I have been working to correct this character flaw. Although my attention was focused primarily on the SII many things came up over the course of its restoration. My BSA & Norton riders needed work to keep them on the road, auto repairs, house repairs, and my job which is the biggest offender. I made progress slowly.

When I am not working on bikes I work in a Product Development Group that builds prototypes and show cars such as XiM18 shown here.

Sorting the wiring on my '70 BSA - a primary rider...another side track. 

The SII was a focus of many full days on the weekend but much of its work was done at 4 - 5:30 AM in the morning before heading off to work. I also tinkered on it a bit in the evenings but usually have other things that need my attention. I occasionally took a vacation day to focus on its progress.

 
The Interceptor sales brochure....as much art as advertising.

Motorcycle restoration is an expensive prospect, at least the way I tackle it. The pace of a 3 year project fits my budget at the present time so it all worked out. I have found ways to reduce costs in future builds without compromising quality which should contribute to the escalation of my habit. At some point I also need to learn how to sell my completed projects......but I really like them all.....

Sorting points and timing at 5 AM. 

While there are not many RE experts in my area, help is not far away. Throughout the course of this exercise I have found numerous channels for input. The Yahoo "Royal Enfield Interceptor Group" was a great source of knowledge. Most times I would not need to ask for help and just combed the archives for what I needed. When I did have a question the members of the group were quick to share their knowledge with me. Thanks! The Royal Enfield Owners website was frequently searched, especially their online manual. Hitchcocks Motorcycles on line parts manuals and tech articles were very helpful too.


Two sources of help that provided a wealth of information. Check them out.


Parts for the RE were available from Burton Bike Bits and Hitchocks Motorcycles in England.There was not much I couldn't buy NOS or re-manufactured. Impressive. I collected lists of parts until large orders could be placed which minimized overall shipping expenses to the US.


I bought most of my parts from these two places. It's amazing what's available. Thanks!


One concerning thing is the crowd doing much of the work for our old machines is well past retirement age. One example is Ross Thompson who recently retired. He was the master of tank restorations in North America. I am not even sure where to go next. We must look to support and train the next generation or we will find ourselves without sources. A good reason to band together in specialized clubs (I have been in the INOA since 1989).

Ross was a real master of metal. We will miss him

Two good chrome plating sources were crossed off my list as they went under in the past couple of years. A third has gone under, been brought back under new ownership, and is struggling again since I started the RE build. Another source of concern for a process critical to restorations.

The Gilmore Antique Car Museum Vintage Motorcycle Show is the largest in Western Michigan. I have been attending and showing bikes at if for many years. I recently entered its master class and had success with my BSA Hornet. I was planning to enter the Interceptor at this show as well as the Battle of the Brits event in Eastern Michigan. These were motivators for doing a solid job on my restoration.

The SII finished second in the Masters class at the Gilmore Antique Motorcycle show. 
I'm happy to have fared so well against the fine bikes that were entered. 

I have thoroughly enjoyed restoring Royal Enfield's finest work. It is an interesting design that has provided many learning experiences. Dual cylinders and heads, Cross rings, an Albion gearbox with a neutral finder, and a plunger oil pump to name a few. While I am off to the 1964 Lightning Rocket restoration I am keeping my eyes open for another challenge. An RE of some variety would be welcomed. Anyone have a lead on one?  Thanks for reading my stories and for your comments throughout the past several years. On to he BSA Lightning Rocket!

The BSA Lightning Rocket at its auction pick up site. A great starting point for a restoration. Maintain its period touring guise or make it the "Rocket" that left the factory???





No comments:

Post a Comment