Thursday, May 17, 2018

Interceptor - Final Tuning & First Ride

It's been three years in the making but I was finally able to take the Interceptor for a spin. After all of the work I have put into it, tackling many mechanical features new to me, I was hoping everything was assembled correctly and I would have an enjoyable first ride. I had it running briefly during the winter months and was confident there were no significant issues to confront in the spring. Hopefully final tuning would be enough to put me on the road.

By mid April I should have taken my first ride on the Interceptor. 
Instead we had 1/2 inch of ice and sleet..... 

The fuel tank is a  Ross Thompson restoration and looks great as you would expect from him. It was flushed before installation and a small amount of fuel was left in it overnight to ensure my restored petrol taps didn't leak. A small leak around one's base was remedied but the taps seals held up. While the tank was off I installed the air filter, fit the battery, tidied up the wires, and placed the cover over the electrics. Fitting the rear section and installing the tank finished up the process and it was outside for startup. Time to tickle the carbs, turn on the juice, and give it a boot.....

New petcock sealing washers from Hitchocks'.  These things work great! 


The tank was flushed and a small amount of fuel was left in overnight to check the tap seals. Installing the rear tank mount was a bit of a bugger.  


After fitting the air filter it was on to the battery box. Unfortunately it was then that I realized there was not enough room to install the battery cover so off came the air filter. 

Although initial timing was set statically, final ignition tuning of the Interceptor was completed dynamically with a strobe light. Each points unit was set to align the timing marks at 3000 RPM per the manual. I thought I had them pretty good statically but they were quite advanced when checked with the strobe. Once the timing was adjusted it was on to the carburetor. Preliminary adjustments put me pretty close and only fine tuning was needed. The pilot and idle screws were set and readjusted once the engine was warmed up from a short ride. The "drill bit" method put me within a couple of turns for the idle screws. The Interceptor starts easy, idles smoothly, and has a fine running power unit. The reproduction glass packs sound great although my neighbors may disagree.....

Final setting of the timing with my trusty old "Suntune" strobe. 

There were a few bugs to work out as with most major overhauls I have undertaken. The battery mount I had devised and its cover had to be re-engineered as the mounting base material was too soft and the whole unit shook quite severely.  There were leaks around the oil filter, primary cover, and tachometer drive unit which mostly disappeared when torqued down a bit. Although I am sure other bugs will work themselves out after riding it a bit, the RE is off to a good start.


The Interceptor ran quite well after final tuning. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEOLQqwMwD4&feature=youtu.be


As found before restoration......
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSCgzAGwXKg


What were my "first ride" impressions of the Interceptor? I was not disappointed as the bike ran through the rev range as it should and the Albion went through the gears in what I assume is its factory "heavy" shifting. I may have a bit of adjusting to do on it but I have to admit I like the neutral finder. It appears that I had done things correctly as it goes straight down the road and handles fine in the curves. I feel no discernible vibration or grabbing from the clutch and it seems to function well. The front brake was a bit weak but adjustment at the brake end of the cable put it right. The rear pedal also required tightening a bit to get its stopper working well too. 

I am used to riding BSA's and Norton's with little experience on anything else from the early 70's. Those machines both have their own unique feel. The BSA with its nimble steering and the Commando with slower and steady characteristics. The Interceptor fit closer to the Norton than the BSA. I think the wider front tire made it a bit heavier feeling in the turns but it does seem to respond to commands reasonably well. The Albion takes a deliberate effort to shift. The long lever and large gears contribute to this feeling I believe. Not a bad thing just different than the BSA's short lever length and the Norton's custom rear-sets, or "awkward for me" Norton factory arrangement.

The Albion is a different experience for a BSA & Norton guy but it works well. 

The bars, as I expected, gave the RE a different feel than I am used to on the highway. Their off-road design made me catch more wind than normal at speeds over 60 MPH which is faster than I normally ride anyway. The Interceptor has more of a dirt bike than a standard street bike stance. A unique feeling for a road going machine. The seating position is typical sit up British style which I like. Overall an enjoyable and exciting machine to ride.

The bars provide a unique feel for a road bike. They should work well for the short trips I take although I can't help but wonder what a "home market" setup would be like. 

So what worked well?  The Hagon shocks are a nice replacement and I will use them again. I have purchased cheaper units in the past and have not been happy with them. The oil cooler is a good addition although I have not tested it yet as it is pretty cool here this time of year. One improvement I have made on all of my bikes is to increase the gearing for reduced RPM at higher speeds. This was accomplished by adding a one tooth larger counter-shaft sprocket. This provides 3200 RPM at 60 MPH which is the speed I cruise on secondary roads. Acceleration is still good even with the higher gearing. The RE handles 70 mph well. This is the speed needed for our primary highways which I must ride on from time to time. The Norton has no problem running 70-80 MPH while the BSA will do 70 MPH but feels like parts are on the verge of shaking off. The RE a bit South of the Norton.

Old and new counter-shaft sprockets for comparison. 
I like adding a tooth to increase the gearing  for secondary road speeds. 

The engine on the Interceptor is impressive to me. It has good power from low down and engine vibration is not too bad. I assume this is due to its long stroke configuration and the dynamically balanced crankshaft. A very smooth system especially for its era. I look forward to putting many more miles on it in the years to come.

My first run with the Interceptor...I confidently declare initial success....cautiously. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZQZOBpHbxw

My plan for the Interceptor was to take it back to its original configuration and show it for a year or so. I stuck to this plan quite closely. After taking it to shows this summer I will make several upgrades that are working well on my other bikes. A Trispark ignition with 6V coils, LED lights, and solid state electrical components for starters. The clutch may get a bit of attention too.

The Street tracker look has always appealed to me and I will probably leave the tank and bars alone although I am tempted to install home market bits if I can find them. The European configuration looks like a more enjoyable setup to ride and I like their styling.

Royal Enfield employee Marlene is seen here on a UK Market Series II Interceptor.

I have thoroughly enjoyed getting the Interceptor back to its factory new condition. I have always obtained satisfaction from bringing things back to life. Whether its grandpa's antique lantern, grandma's washing machine engine, or a barn find BSA, I have enjoyed them all. On to the next......

Tuned up and ready to roll up some miles....


No comments:

Post a Comment