Sunday, November 19, 2017

Final Assembly - Bits & Bobs Pt I

Now the heavy lifting is done and I am heading down the home stretch. It's time for the last bits to be installed and to make sure everything is setup properly. This is also the place to talk about stuff that didn't fit anywhere else or to cover issues I ran into after my initial post on the subject. The clutch is a good example of this. I inspected all of the parts, assembled it, and when I pulled the cable several springs bound up. The plate was not totally flat. That wasn't supposed to happen but I am sure most Interceptor owners would not be surprised. It is a bit of an odd clutch for a BSA guy. It is hanging out on that long gearbox shaft whipping in the wind and you can't adjust all of the springs?

The primary cover was galled where a clutch bolt had given its life. This is probably why one of them was renewed and the spring plate was bent.  

The spring plate had been inspected but I must not have measured in the correct places. It was re-bent to get all of the spring spacing correct and to provide even run out. I did not like the feel of the clutch and went back to Don Morely's "Gearbox Rebuild Part 5 Clutch" and replicated the push rod from his article. This improved the feel dramatically and should increase the life of the push rod. The old rod was worn from bending as he points out in his article and a new hardened one was purchased.

New and old push rods for comparison. The new hardened rod was cut, the pieces were ground to length, and the ends were polished and heat treated - per Don. 

Paint is a place I have continually fought a battle with. I like sprayed urethane for its authentic look but it is not as durable as powder coating. Touching up dings and blending them in has been a learning experience for me. I almost hate to recount this story but here we go. I dropped a wrench on my swing arm which left a sizable scratch. No problem just touch it up. I sprayed some enamel on it thinking I would come back later, sand it off and polish it out. To my horror it bubbled and made a mild scratch a large job. I have not had that happen before. Bummer.

A wrench dropped on my pretty paint and a touch up job gone horribly wrong......

Three coats of brushed on acrylic enamel cured and sanded to 1500 grit.  

Next I purchased acrylic enamel and brushed on several coats. After it dried for a couple of weeks I sanded it smooth with 1500 grit paper and polished it out with 3M perfect It #3. This worked well and I think I have a new process. I am leaning very hard toward powder coating the frame and bits, with the exception of flat pieces, on my next job due to ts durability. I powder coated the skid plate and it looks great although I am not crazy about the wavy look on flat areas.

Sanded, buffed and waxed. Not bad. Those who don't read this blog will never know. 

The clutch, tachometer and speedometer cables were the proper length as purchase and left as is. The throttle and brake cables were significantly longer than necessary and needed to be shortened to look and function properly. While it was apart I removed the original brake cable fitting and sent it out to chrome. It was installed on the new cable to provide the correct knurls.

The cables are an area that may be overlooked sometimes but I like to make sure they are all the correct length. This looks good and also make things function better, especially the front brake. If this cable is to long it will cause the front brake to pulse as it flexes. All new cables were ordered for the Interceptor and most were good as is. The throttle cables and short choke cables worked as is but the front brake and lever end choke cable were too long. On to the shortening process.

The new Choke cable was 4 inches too long. Time for an intervention....

A new brass ferule ready to move  into place with a key clip I purchased at a record store in the 70's. I always wondered what to use that thing for.....

Cable tinned and brass ferrule moved into place. 

It all fits as it's supposed to. Time to put it all together. 

Cables shortened and installed. 

After looking at these bits for two years and thinking they were good as is I had a change of heart and sent them to the chrome plater. A good decision as they look great. 


A new Interceptor at the Long Beach motorcycle show. I have to admit I kind of like it. 









No comments:

Post a Comment